Suppose you are doing an important presentation in your desktop, when the electricity gets cut off and all your data gets erased. Well this is where an urgent need for power backup is arrived. But, of course, you don’t have it with you. If you don’t want to face this situation, you should be prepared, rather than regretting it later, why not find a perfect solution for such situation right now? The solution for all these problems is UPS (uninterruptible power supply).
What is online UPS?
Uninterruptible power supply (UPS) is a device that provides battery backup when the electrical power cuts or drops to its lowest voltage level.
is the most advanced inverter which is continuously providing power from the battery, and the computer equipment is never receiving power directly from the AC outlet.
How it works?
An online UPS system is one where the UPS output is always supplying current to the load. The online UPS, As batteries are always connected to the inverter and it converts incoming AC power to DC, and then back to AC, so no power transfer switches are necessary. While there is a power loss, the rectifier turns off and the batteries starts supplying the DC current keeping the power steady, which is converted by the inverter into AC and supplied to the load.when the power is restored, the rectifier gets back to its work carrying most of the load and charging the batteries, but the charging current would still be limited so as to prevent the electrolytes of the batteries from biling off and batteries getting overheated from the high- power rectifier. This creates an electrical firewall between the incoming utility power and sensitive electronic equipment.
What are the advantages of online UPS?
These advantages of online UPS can be helpful for you:
1. It provides isolation between the main supply and load ensuring safety from any kind of accidents.
2. Since inverter is always ON, the load doesn’t experience fluctuations in voltage and it increases the lifespan of the load, making it low maintenance cost and high performance equipment.
3. All the disturbances of supply such as blackouts, brownouts, spikes, etc are absent in the output.
4. Voltage regulation is better in the circuit.
5. Instant transfer time since inverter is always ON.
Why and where are they used?
Due to these advantages, the online/Double-conversion UPS systems are well suited for the following purposes.
● To protect Mission-critical IT equipment
● Can be used in Induction motor drives and similar other motor control applications.
● To protect Data center installations and High-end servers.
● To keep Large telecom installations and storage applications from sudden damage or accidents.
● To save from damage caused by a power blackout, voltage sag, voltage surge, over voltage, voltage spike, frequency noise, frequency variation, or harmonic distortion to the Advanced network equipment.
● Can be useful for Intensive care units and medical equipment.